kernel compile question

Hi *,

i am trying to build a bootable CD-ROM with debian which runs completly
in RAM, for FW use. so i am trying to keep my kernel as small as possible.
but my kernel won't compile without support for hot-pluggable devices.
as far as i know, hot-pluggable device support is only needed with
PCMCIA cards. i don't have such cards, so i keep that support out of the
kernel. this is the compile error i get when trying to compile:

drivers/net/net.o(.data+0xbb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in
discarded section .text.exit'
make[1]: *** [kallsyms] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.5'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2

... i think i have misunderstood something here. does someone know,
what's going on here. any help is appreciated!
TIA, Willy

--
take window~1 for when quality, relyability
and security aren't that important.