System hangs during installation

Got a dual celeron system with adaptec-scsi here on a Intel BX mb from tyan. I tried to install woody and also potatoe on one of my scsi disks. After the first reboot the system hangs during installation setup when asking for the ispell dictionary ("[1] or [2]"). No reaction from the system, no chance to switch to another console, system is dead. I unplugged one of the celerons, reduced system memory to 256MB and even changed my RAMs to get a very 'normal' system. I have to mention that my hardware runs absolutly fine with any Suse-Linux kernels now for years.
In former trials of debian installations I choosed the dns-server package to be installed. There the installation hung always after asking for the gpm service.
Since installation always hangs at the same point during setup and since my hardware is definitly ok I suggest an error in debian's installation scripts in combination with the hardware I'm using. (BTW: why does debian installs the ispell stuff for a minimal system?)
Are there any suggestions/ideas?

--
Dipl. Ing. Jürgen Striegel
js@jstriegel.de