make-kpkg modules_image question

I just compiled a new kernel and realized that I forgot to include ppp
support in the kernel.

Rather than recompiling a new custom kernel, can I just make-kpkg clean, make
menuconfig and make-kpkg modules_image to compile ppp kernel support as a
module?

Assuming so, what do I then need to do to make the module loadable into my
existing kernel?

Sorry if this is an obvious question -- I've looked at various howto docs,
but they deal mostly with kernel compiles from start to finish, rather than
"oops, I forgot something" situations.

Thanks.

--kurt