Re: Installing a printer and using kde as a window manager

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:50:53PM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

| I have set up a printer using CUPS called "laser".   Its actually a Brother
| Laser printer connected to a windows machine across my network.   It works
| great from within KDE.
|
| However, I have installed lyx - to try it out.  This is NOT a kde/qt
| application - I think its a gtk.  It running in a kde window.  When I want to
| print it pops up a dialog box with a blank text box for me to fill in the
| name of the printer.
|
| Anyone any idea what to fill in to get it to print on my CUPS "laser".  I
| tried the obvious (ie laser), it took a long time thinking before coming back
| to me as though it had done it, but there is no trace of a job on CUPS and
| nothing came out of the printer.

Perhaps lyx is looking directly at /etc/printcap to see what printers
exist and is silently ignoring non-existant printers?  To find out add
a printcap directive to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    Printcap /etc/printcap
and restart cups.  See that a (dummy) printcap is generated.  Then try
printing with lyx again.

It is also possible that lyx is using the other command set.  There
are both SysV and BSD print commands provided by cupsys-client and
cupsys-bsd respectively.  If you only have one of them installed, try
installing the other.

-D

--

An anxious heart weighs a man down,