Re: Installing a printer and using kde as a window manager

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:11:28PM +0100, Claus Ladekjær Wilson wrote:

| how do I install the filter for my hp 390 c ?

get the 'cupsys', 'cupsys-client', 'cupsys-bsd',
'cupsys-driver-gimpprint', 'cupsomatic-ppd', and 'cupsys-pstoraster'
pacakges.  (I think at least some of them aren't in potato)  The CUPS
printing system is very nice and easy to use.  Just point your web
browser to http://localhost:631/ and you can add a printer with
point-n-click.  Of the packages I listed, one is the daemon, two are
the client tools (lp and lpr and friends; one is SysV the other is
BSD), and three contain "drivers".  With those three package you'll
have filters for many different printers.

| How do I change window managers?

What is your desktop?  If you have none, just edit ~/.xsession
appropriately.  If you're using GNOME use the Control Center

| And kde isn't on the cdrom's I guess?

Nope.  It is/was not "free".

| I would like to use a 2.4 kernel - how to install such a thing?

Either get Adrian Bunk's packages
or
upgrade 'modutils' and whatever else is required and build your own.

google is bound to turn up some F{ine}M's to R.

(I recommend moving to woody or sid if you want a 2.4 kernel or if you
want KDE or GNOME or anything else that is recent (like CUPS).  potato
is called "stable" but it is old; the newer stuff is newer)

-D

--

"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)