Re: OT: Rant

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:39:26 -0600
Kent West <westk@nicanor.acu.edu> wrote:

> john wrote:
>
> > csj wrote:
> >

> >><snip>
> >>
> >>The level of control you want for your documents is better served by a
> >>dedicated DTP program like Ventura. The DOS version (running IIRC a
> >>run-time version of the GEM desktop environment) was fast, pretty fast
> >>even when run on an ancient XT. But I share the WP crowd's lament about
> >>their favorite word processor. Like WP, Ventura was bought out by Corel.
> >>

> > Seconded. WP was what made me learn Qedit.
>

> So what would you recommend as a DTP program in Linux?

In the not too distant future, KWord. The main problem with KWord at
present is stability and predictability. By predictability, I mean
something like getting true WYSIWIG, or at least getting the volume of
text right (e.g. a page which contains 400 words on the screen shouldn't
contain 425 words on the page). The stability part is self-explanatory.

If you can stand the bloat, maybe OpenOffice. But for the life of me, I
can't get it to compile.