Re: need help compiling kernel: problems with make menuconfig

also sprach ben <benfoley@rcn.com> [2002.01.19.0149 +0100]:
> On Friday 18 January 2002 04:32 pm, seg wrote:
> > Just reinstalled a Debian/GNU system. I didn't install X, has it wouldn't
> > load up correctly and didn't it. Without X, to compile a new kernel I am
> > forced to use make menuconfig. Which supposedly requires the package
> > ncurses-dev. Using Debian's apt-get utility I tried to install ncurses-dev.
> > It returns an error, which I should I have noted, in brief in states that
> > ncurses is out of date and that I can only install libncurses6-dev (which
> > replaced it). So I did. When I tried to make menuconfig, it returned an
> > error saing it could not find the ncurses libraries.
> > What can I do? I tried using apt-get to install X, but I can't seem to find
> > the right package name.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> you can also use make config for the kernel compilation.

do you do so regularly? it's a "bitch" i find.

my menuconfig works btw and links against libncurses.so.5 btw, which is
included in libncurses5-dev. that's the 2.4.17 kernel. try it.

in africa some of the native tribes have a custom of beating the
ground with clubs and uttering spine chilling cries. anthropologists
call this a form of primitive self-expression. in america they call
it golf.