Re: Upgrading Kernel the Debian way?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:39:53 -0800
ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:
> man, i can't believe that you told dman--one of the most unreservedly
> helpful and still modest people on this list--to shut up. that's damn
> near slapping your mama in the face. dude, apologize.

Well, firstly, I can also be a rather helpful member of the community
too. While I haven't been there so much lately, I have literally spent
countless hours in #debian helping hundreds of people with various
issues(my nick there is ElectricElf).

In this particular case, though, I wrote some fairly large chunks of the
script in question. I don't know how many threads I've seen lately on
the list which are fairly useless. I mean, dman doesn't need to use the
script, that's fine. But many people do. So he doesn't find it useful :)
That's great. No problems. I never liked lilo's automatic kernel
management, so I didn't use it. But it didn't often *break* people's
setups, so I didn't feel justified in asking that the maintainer of the
package(who I was not) in removing it. And a lot of people probably did
use the script after all.

Yeah, okay, I was harsh. For that I'm sorry. But on the plus side, it
did have the intended effect of stopping a thread in its tracks, and
probably gave some people the idea that, just because they don't use
something doesn't mean they're allowed to bitch about its mere
existence. :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \