help installing printing-system ...

Hi guys out there!

I need some help on getting started my printer, a CANON-S450-inkjet.

situation:

I want to install a central printer server. the printer server is an old
486er-box which is running stable on Debian-2.2r5 as IP-maskserver for
over one year now. (I have no X and therefore no
desktop-and-wm-environment installed on it because it doesn't have the
capacity - 21MBRAM, 500MBdisk)

I want to run CUPS on both the server and the client machine (which runs
also under Debian-2.2r5 together with the really fine
printerfilter-system of http://www.turboprint.de system.

the PROBLEM is now:

I cannot get working my printer on the server machine :-(

I installed CUPS, the cups-daemon is running (on both machines already).
Afterwards I used the tpsetup-command from turboprint to create a new
/etc/printcap-file.

But it is not possible to print (see the error messages I put to the
email at the end) - even with a "cat file > /dev/lp0" for example, nor
with a simple lpr command. lpadmin doesn't work, .....

And of course therefore it is not possible to print there from the
client machine.

I can access the CUPS-system with my browser through port 631, that's no
problem, even from the client machine.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE ERROR-MESSAGES on the server when I tried to print:

ghadames:/var/log/cups# ls -l
total 18
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        13970 Jan 17 15:45 access_log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2862 Jan 17 14:52 error_log

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpr
lpr: error - no default destination available.

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpr error_log
lpr: error - no default destination available.

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpr -dtp0 error_log

Warning: 'd' format modifier not supported - output may not be correct!
lpr: error - no default destination available.

then I tried to give the default destination to the system with the
lpadmin-command (as it is told in the systemadministration-file of CUPS)

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpadmin -dtp0

Authentication required for root on localhost...
UNIX Password:

lpadmin: Destination tp0 does not exist!

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpadmin -dlp0

Authentication required for root on localhost...
UNIX Password:

lpadmin: Destination lp0 does not exist!

ghadames:/var/log/cups# lpadmin -dlp

Authentication required for root on localhost...
UNIX Password:

lpadmin: Destination lp does not exist!

ghadames:/var/log/cups# cat /etc/printcap

HERE is the actual printcap-file of the machine:

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.
#Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pc#150:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:
#
#
### BEGIN turboprint
#   Warning: Written by Turboprint - do not edit!
#            use tpsetup to edit printers
lp|tp0|turbo1|Canon_S450:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/usr/share/turboprint/lib/tpfilter:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1/log:\
	:af=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1/acct:\
	:la@:mx#0:\
	:tr=:cl:sh:
#
tp0raw|turbo1raw|Canon_S450raw:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/usr/share/turboprint/lib/tpfilterraw:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1raw:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1raw/log:\
	:af=/var/spool/lpd/turbo1raw/acct:\
	:la@:mx#0:\
	:tr=:cl:sh:
#
#
### END   turboprint

so, that's it (its a long email, I know, but wanted to put all the
probably necessary infos in it)

does somebody know, what I have to do?? any help really appreciated,
yours sincerely Richard  #:-|

PS: at least I got once the printer running on the client machine
together with the older lpd-system and turboprint within 10 minutes, but
what I need is the solution mentioned above. I also will have to gain
access to 2 windoof-boxens to the printerserver, but this is another
story ...

"Werde was Du bist - Deviens ce que tu es - Become what you are"