Re: filesystem oddities

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:15:46PM -0100, andrej hocevar wrote:
| Hello.
| Something strange has happened to my file systems: I've resized a
| partition (ext2) with parted, installed windows on another. On my
| other disk I have woody which I mostly use. But now parted says
| /dev/hda1 is ext2, whereas fdisk says it's amoeba. What's wrong?! I
| can't boot potato anymore!

You did the partition "hide" trick, didn't you?  It "hides" the
partition by toggling a bit in the "type" field of the partition
table.  This means that [c]fdisk will tell you the partition type is
something else (cause that's what the disk says).  You can verify this
by putting the table back (use linux cfdisk! not windo~1!) and
booting.  The better solution is to be sure and "unhide" the partition
in the potato section of your grub config.

-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.