Re: Linux ICQ client that doesn't suck?

* David Gardi (debian@gardisoft.org) [Jan 17. 2002 20:07]:

> Mark Ferlatte wrote:

> >Does anyone out there use ICQ under Debian? So far I've tried licq
> >and gaim with the ICQ plugin, and both of them have very annoying
> >problems (messages get lost, or messages from previous sessions get
> >delivered again on client startup... this is a problem when you have
> >20+ messages that come in everytime you start your ICQ client).

[...]

> I used to use centericq, it is a console app, and I think it's quite
> nice.

I have to second that. If you'd rather have a console type client,
centericq is really good. As of version 4.5.0, it "works" fine with the
changes over at AOL. IOW, you don't get the random-dropped-messages-
without-notification-thing going on.

If there isn't a .deb for 4.5.x, you should be able to build it from
source. That's what I did.

<http://freshmeat.net/projects/centericq/>

It's seems to be actively developed, and the author is a friendly guy.

--
Brian Clark | Debian GNU/Linux: 3950 packages to keep you busy.
Fingerprint: 07CE FA37 8DF6 A109 8119 076B B5A2 E5FB E4D0 C7C8