Re: wrestling with dselect

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 05:18:45PM -0700, darrell wrote:
> Is this in potato?
>
> i am still a debian newbie - havent quite figured out how to tell where
> i am getting my packages / package lists and if there are
> multiple versions,
> ( i ahve edidted the apt-get sources file, but, there
> is no clear indication with those urls if i am in testing
> stable or what? i wish the apt sources urls had a
> clue in them as to what i am getting ) plus i need to
> read more docs specific to debian and the stable-testing-release
> stuff, it is quite involved as i can see
>
> i wonder if it is as simple as changing the word stable to testing?

yes

run:

cat /etc/debian_version

A response  "3.0" means you are using testing, i.e. woody.
Stable is 2.2.

If you are using testing and your /etc/apt/sources.list URLs read like
the ones below, edit the file and change "stable" to read "woody"

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://download.sourceforge.net/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> well, guess they do, i am using stable, i used the woody install
> disks, i may have this all wrong now that i think about it, but
> i am getting newish versions of some programs ( X, gimp ), well
> whatever, i can live with a bit of dependancy wrestling, i dont
> think it is too much to expect
>
> another thing, why are some configs in /var/lib/dpkg and others
> in /etc/apt-get, i am willing to bet there are configs for

The stuff in /var/lib/dpkg is used by dpkg to keep track of what
packages are installed. Configuration files for apt and dpkg are in
/etc.

man pages will tell you where configuration files are located.