Re: wrestling with dselect

jracksjr@bellatlantic.net wrote:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 05:18:45PM -0700, darrell wrote:

Is this in potato?
i wonder if it is as simple as changing the word stable to testing?

yes

run:

cat /etc/debian_version

A response  "3.0" means you are using testing, i.e. woody.
Stable is 2.2.

If you are using testing and your /etc/apt/sources.list URLs read like
the ones below, edit the file and change "stable" to read "woody"

that is interesting, because as you see, i have stable in
apt-get sources, and /etc/debian_version reports 3.0

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://download.sourceforge.net/debian stable main contrib non-free

The stuff in /var/lib/dpkg is used by dpkg to keep track of what
packages are installed. Configuration files for apt and dpkg are in
/etc.

man pages will tell you where configuration files are located.

really? jk, i am aware, just lazy, and yes, that is what i
said, i have stable as my source and my deb_version is 3.0

i am on a somewhat fresh install, used i386 6 diskette
install

uh, i have run potato before, this is definately not potato

forgive me if i am a bit leary of changing stable to testing
as much of my software is running beautifly

darrell