Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

also sprach ben <benfoley@rcn.com> [2002.01.17.1320 +0100]:
> this is getting really fucking boring. the fhs, just like the government,
> should restrict its intrusion into my life to the point of the most minimal,
> not maximal, necessity. let the fhs set up a criteria based on what is only
> absolutely necessary for general compliance with the way the world works, and
> then back the fuck off. i'm really tired of this pseudo-fascist idea that
> everything has to look the same way. whether i use /mnt/floppy, mount on the
> fly, or never mount another goddamn floppy in my life has only to do with the
> functionality of the system for which i am responsible. this nitpicking
> bullshit is absolutely pathetic.

fair point. but the FHS doesn't dictate anything. you can do what you
want. however, for something to be a standard, it should be compatible
and well backed by reason. and that's what we're discussion. not where
you place your mount points.

and also, please watch your language a little more...

at the turn of the century in vienna,
the schoenberg food factory stopped making tonic,
and started making cereal instead.
                                                   -- hofstadter's geb