Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

Craig Dickson wrote:

> martin f krafft wrote:
>
> > as others have said and suggested, i also rarely use /mnt. if i need a
> > mount point, i'll quickly create one on the fly. i believe there are
> > even versions of mount out there that don't need an existing directory.
> > i just wrapped mount and umount it in scripts that create the directory
> > and rmdir it again after usage.
>
> I do something like this too. Perhaps this is a better idea all the way
> around than having a single root-level temporary mount point like /mnt.
>
> Of course, if /mnt could be done away with altogether this way, then it
> would be reasonable to end the debate over whether to call the
> "removable mount points" directory /vol, /media, or whatever, by simply
> calling it /mnt the way some other distros already do...

I'm not sure that this comment really applies to this post, but it does
apply to this thread:
/floppy and /mnt are an example of a more general question about FHS,
namely: What advise does it offer concerning where to put databases, web
server stuff, etc. ? In general there is the stuff for which you hope
the host will serve some purpose. Where does that stuff go?

As an example: before I read the FHS, I set up a local mirror of the
Debian packages using apt-move. I decided to create a root level
directory /mirror and to put in it a directory /mirror/debian, but when
I read FHS, I started wondering if I might be creating problems for
myself, because I had stuck a new non-standard item in the root
directory. Where should "real work" stuff go within the FHS? I wonder...

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com