Re: GUI mail readers

Ross Burton wrote:

> Nothing can import OE5.5 folders, even KMail.  The only way to access
> OE5.5 folders is to either
> 1) setup a IMAP server accessible to both Windows and Linux, and copy
> the mail onto it
> 2) use Mozilla in Windows which can call OE to copy each mail into a
> mbox file, which can then be imported into any other mail client.
>
> This sucks, I know.  I had to convert ~3000 messages across 20 folders
> when I migrated my mail to Linux.

I also had a lot of stuff to migrate from Outlook Express, but I found
it pretty painless. If you install the Debian package "imap", you get a
working IMAP server that stores mail in mbox-format folders. Then you
configure Outlook Express to know about the IMAP server, and drag all
your mail folders over to it. Then, either you leave the messages in
IMAP and use a Linux-based IMAP-aware mail client, or use an mbox-aware
mail client directly on the IMAP-created folders, or you use formail and
procmail to process the IMAP-created folders and store your mail
wherever you really want it. If you don't want to keep using the IMAP
server, you can remove the imap package after all your mail has been
transferred over from Windows.

Craig