Re: Login problem

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:02:27PM +0100, Pietro Cagnoni wrote:
> Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> > I downloaded the source so that I could see if I could do anything
> > about it, but gzip is complaining that it isn't in gzip format. Is
> > there any special package I need to get to be able to decompress the
> > source? I have gzip version 1.3.2-3, tar 1.13.25-1, and login
> > 20000902-8.

I agree that your browser's probably silently uncompressed it and
neglected to strip the '.gz' extension - Netscape is notorious for doing
this. You might find it easier to add 'deb-src' lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list paralleling the existing 'deb' lines, 'dselect
update' as root, and then you can 'apt-get source login'.

> any recompiling or upgrading will be useless - you just can't send
> keystrokes to a program that didn't started yet!

No, they can be buffered on the terminal. Try typing at 'sleep 5; cat
</dev/tty' if you don't believe me.