Re: Setting up a home LAN

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:21:37PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

> I see in rereading my own email, I was less clear than I should have
> been.  What I was attempting to ask was, "do I have to do anything on
> the firewall box to specify that I have 3 rather than, say, 8 boxes
> connected to the hub?"

No.  You _can_ be restrictive at the firewall; but most people in your
situation would probably have a rule which says, in effect, "all packets
generated on my local subnet are allowed out, and responses to
connections initiated from the local subnet are allowed in."  If you
did want to be restrictive you could list individual machines instead
of the subnet.

> It appears not, from the replies.  My second
> question should have been, "If I see a cheap hub/switch on sale, but
> it has a built in firewall or routing scheme, should I go ahead, or
> steer clear?"  It appears the answer is that it won't hurt the box,
> but perhaps my head.

And maybe your wallet.  I'd steer clear.  Why pay for features you don't
need?  There are certainly fine, cheap hubs which don't do firewalling,
and I expect that your ISP provides all you need to get from their
service to the firewall.

Cheers,
-mrj