cdrecord input buffer

Hi everybody,
I'm using a Plexwriter 24/10/40, but I have problems when I write at 10x.
(havn't tried 24 yet [:)] )
My default input buffer is of 24m however I have tried using 64, 128 etc..
whatever I do, the buffer eventually reaches 0% (the bigger the buffer the
slower it takes to get to 0) then bounces back to 100% gradually
then goes down again. It's reading from a cdrom device at approx 50x,
but the same problem occurs from a fast disk. I'm passing
driveropts=burnproof to cdrecord not knowing exactly what it does
however does seem to record stuff correctly even if the buffer
overflows.
Here are the last lines of output from cdrecord:

Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 516194304/516194304 (252048 sectors).
Writing  time:  376.461s
Fixating...
Fixating time:   34.818s
cdrecord: fifo had 8132 puts and 8132 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 250 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 0%.

Any ideas and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
David.