Re: kernel-package and moving the old vmlinuz

Manoj Srivastava declaimed:
> 	This was a bug. The check I had in the image postinst was
>  being too rigorous, and always failed. kernel-package from the last
>  day or so should have this fixed.
>
> 	manoj
Manoj,

I've successfully installed several kernel's in the past using your
(excellent) README file, but I've just spent 3 days unsuccessfully
trying to boot from a newly compiled kernel package. Turns out that I
had to add the --initrd flad to the the make-kpkg command:

  $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 --initrd kernel_package

Without this, when booting from the new kernel it would fail with an
error

  VFS: Cannot open root device "308" or 03:08

immediately followed by a kernel panic. Assuming that I'm not totally
off-base, can you add this to the README?

THANKS to Daniel Freedman <freedman@ccmr.cornell.edu> for pointing out
the solution in his reply to a thread titled  "kernel complaint". I've
seen at least one other post to this list where it looks like this was
an issue, see the thread titled "Kernel Panic" by  "Mike Kuhar"
<mikek147@mediaone.net>.

Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/