Re: Is it possible to update the kernel on a running system with out rebooting?

on Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:53:32PM -0500, Joey Hess (joey@kitenet.net) wrote:
> Walter Tautz wrote:
> > I.e., not merely install the kernel and run lilo but have the
> > running kernel switch over to the newer version?
>
> You can search for "two kernel monte", but it's not as useful as you'd
> hope.

Technically, you're essentially restarting the system (though it might
be possible to feed parameters or values to the loaded kernel).  Two
kernel monte doesn't buy what the questioner's looking for, but it can
be useful as another avenue for bootstraping a system.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org