Re: Large file sizes (2+Gb)

also sprach Cassandra Ludwig <cass@ophiuchi.net> [2002.01.16.0359 +0100]:
> This is where I hit a problem.  The ext2 filesystem happens to have a 2Gb
> limit for filesizes, so first problem hit there.  Then after upgrading the
> kernel in the server to a 2.4 kernel (2.4.17) I changed the storage
> partition to using reisferfs... now I can create large files and store them
> on the server locally, but anytime (and any method) I try to send the files
> to the server the server kills the file at exactly 2gb in size.

you are going windoze->linux or the other way? what windoze?

i am sure that the problem is samba and other daemons not being able to
handle >2Gb files, even though the kernel can handle them.

have you tried tar? piping tar over a simple socket as created with
netcat:

nc -l -p 54321 | (cd /dumphere; tar xfz -)

and then pipe into a local netcat

tar cfz - /store/myfilesdir | nc serverip 54321

?

again, for clarification, your files are currently on an ext2 partition,
right?

"know what I hate most?  rhetorical questions."
                                                      -- henry n. camp