Re: Speeding up apt-get security updates

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:35:39PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

| I manage a small groups of Debian stable boxes that manage the
| internet side of a local business.  I'm wondering if there is a
| kosher way to only download security patches once.  Our link isn't
| so hot, and having each of a dozen boxes go out to
| security.debian.org for updated packages gets old.
|
| I've thought about making a squid proxy to proxy the http requests, but
| security.debian.org specifically requests that no mirror of any time
| be made of those packages.  Even if a proxy is appropriate and
| acceptable, it's really overkill for my uses.  Unfortunately, a
| small mirror is ideal, but I'm not about to ls -lR on the server...

I'm sure what the security team is asking is that you don't copy the
packages from their site, then stick it on your own http/ftp server
and tell people to install from there.  A private, local mirror will
be fine.  After all, you're just keeping a copy of the stuff you have.
You can either go the squid route and cache everything (or whatever
squid is configured for, I haven't gone through that manual yet) or
you can use the apt-cache/apt-move stuff to allow you to download the
stuff once and then install it on the other machines using the local
copy.

HTH,
-D

--

Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"