Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

ben wrote:
> i agree. it was one of the pleasures of discovering debian to find that
> something i had always considered redundant was not employed in the debian
> filesystem. why shouldn't floppies and other removable media be visible at
> the root level?

Conversly, what is so important about a floppy or zip drive or CD that
it needs such a short global path to access it? I tend to mount such
devices wherever is appropriate in my current working area -- 'mkdir
./floppy; sudo mount /dev/fd0 floppy; cp myfiles ./floppy/'

One perhaps little known thing about debian's /floppy and /cdrom
directories BTW is that if you rmdir them, they will not be put back by
later upgrades of base-files. So if you really dislike them (and/or have
a system like mine that does not have a floppy, or cdrom), you can get
rid of them easily.

--
see shy jo