MySQL 3.22 --> 3.23 on Potato

I am a newbie to package management in Debian; More and more I have needed to upgrade MySQL from 3.22 to 3.23 for some production systems. This comes from support from everyone else who does not use Debian. I've enjoyed the safety and stability of Debian stable for a long while and I plan to continue doing so. So, what do you think would be the safest way of upgrading my mysql ? Leave 3.22 in apt, shut off mysql engine and over write with compiled sources ? Overwrite with precompiled binaries ? Remove from apt then do the above ? If I remove from apt, then I should remove all dependencies as well, or keep them in and hope that they work when the upgrade is make installed ?

Jason Harris
jharris@esd.wa.gov