Abiword and TrueType

I try to use TrueType fonts in Abiword but fail miserably.
I installed the microsoft fonts and configured X to use it (without any
font server) and it seems to be OK.

AbiWord need also to see the font's files in its directory
   /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts

According to a FAQ in the AW web site
   http://www.abiword.org/faquser.phtml#2.7

I only need to symlink all files from
   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/
in an empty /usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts/

But It doesn't work. When I launch abiword I get a dialog box explaining
that :
"
The font metrics file [/usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts//Times_New_Roman.afm] could
not be opened for parsing, nor was  it possible to retrieve the needed
information from the X server: this is a fatal error and Abiword will
terminate.
"

And If I add the ttf symlinks (ie. don't empty the directory first) then
Abiword run fine but doesn't notice the truetype fonts.

Is it possible to use truetype font without Xserver in Abiword ?

Christophe

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.