Re: 2 distros coexisting?

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 05:47:12PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

| Currently, my /dev/hda1 in unused, and I'd like to do a network
| install of Woody on it without disturbing my existing Mandrake
| installation.
|
| Is there any way to share /dev/hda6 & /dev/hda7 between the 2
| distros, and put Debian in /dev/hda1 (don't mind if it's
| reformatted) without touching any of the other partitions? Of
| course, both distros could share /dev/hda2 & /dev/hde1.

Yep.  No problem; once you make the UIDs and GIDs match, of course.  I
don't know about mandrake, but rh starts users at UID/GID 500/500.
Debian starts at 1000/1000 with lower numbers reserved for various
system stuff.  The installer doesn't even make you format any
partitions.

I had RH and Debian installed simultaneously while I contemplated a
change.  You know where I ended up :-).

|   # swap
  ^
What's character 0xa0, BTW?  It shows as a funny A in gnome-terminal
(all non-ascii characters do) and as a blank in gvim (I can see lots
of stuff in gvim, such as much of the unicode set).

-D

--

How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released imcompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you dont care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)