Re: OT: Perl & UTF-8

Hi Henry!

Thanks a lot for replying!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Henry House wrote:

> [...]
> Perl 5.6 has EXPERIMENTAL UTF-8 support. There are bugs. If possible, you
> should use iconv to convert the files to an ISO 8859 encoding before
> processing. In the likely event that that is not possible, you can activate
> UTF-8 suppot in perl using 'use utf8;'. See perlunicode(1) for details.

I'm currently not using Perl 5.6, but rather the Perl being shipped with
Potato (don't recall the exact version number/patch level right
now). Doing

apt-cache search --names-only libunicode

finds

libunicode-string-perl - Perl modules for Unicode strings
libunicode-map8-perl - Perl module to map 8bit character sets to Unicode

Does anybody have experience using these two Perl modules? Could they be a
solution to the problem I'm having?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

	Holger