Re: X Configuration in Woody

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:03:57PM -0800, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> On 01/12/02 10:03:03 +0100, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
> > Edit your XF86config-4 file, look for lines like these (see below).
> > Insert the correct frequency settings for your monitor, and the
> > resolutions you want.  BTW, if you specify more than one resolution,
> > you can switch them on-the-run by pressing Ctrl+Alt+'+' or
> > Ctrl+Alt+'-'.
>
> Hi Joachim,
>
> I posted my XF86Config-4 file at http://24.5.8.184/XF86Config-4.html,
> if you'd like to take a look.
>
> In responding to another message in this thread, I discovered that if
> I run X as a normal user, everything is okay, but when I run it as
> root, I get the weirdness. I don't run X as root, so it's probably no
> big deal, but still, I'd like to resolve the problem. X is pulling
> this info from somewhere, if not from the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

WAG (wild-assed guess), but this sounds like something I experienced a
few months ago.

Check the root homedir (/root) and see if there's an XF86Config or
XF86Config-4 file there.  If memory serves I once spent an evening
trying to apply changes to the XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11 but was
thwarted by the presence of the XF86Config-4 file in /root, which
apparently was being used when I did 'startx' as root.  When I removed
the rogue version from /root, all was well.

'find / -name XF86Config\*' might be worth a try as well.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.