Re: X Configuration in Woody

On 01/13/02 02:18:58 -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:03:57PM -0800, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> > On 01/12/02 10:03:03 +0100, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
> > > Edit your XF86config-4 file, look for lines like these (see below).
> > > Insert the correct frequency settings for your monitor, and the
> > > resolutions you want.  BTW, if you specify more than one resolution,
> > > you can switch them on-the-run by pressing Ctrl+Alt+'+' or
> > > Ctrl+Alt+'-'.
> >
> > Hi Joachim,
> >
> > I posted my XF86Config-4 file at http://24.5.8.184/XF86Config-4.html,
> > if you'd like to take a look.
> >
> > In responding to another message in this thread, I discovered that if
> > I run X as a normal user, everything is okay, but when I run it as
> > root, I get the weirdness. I don't run X as root, so it's probably no
> > big deal, but still, I'd like to resolve the problem. X is pulling
> > this info from somewhere, if not from the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
>
> WAG (wild-assed guess), but this sounds like something I experienced a
> few months ago.

Well, just keep WAGging! I normally copy/move files I'm working on to
the /root dir for safe-keeping. Whether or not it's good idea or not,
I've done it over the last several versions of Debian and X without
problems. I never knew that X would grab a config from ~/,
interesting. I created a dir and moved them to that and X started up
fine! The funny thing is that the resolution X was running at wasn't
coming from the config files, but I had a XF86Config and an
XF86Config-4 file there, so maybe X became confused and decided to do
it's own thing.

It's a good thing to know you're not going crazy...

Thanks!
--
  Mark Wagnon <mark_wagnon@yahoo.com>