Re: Menu editor in Debian's KDE?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:40:43 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a Mandrake KDE user (Debian is my firewall), I really like the
> convenience of MenuDrake, the menu editor.  *Very* intuitive, easy,
> and solid.
>
> Does Debian's KDE (I guess it's pretty much a stock KDE?) have
> such a menu editor?

I'm not aware of a GUI tool that works on Debian menus.  However, the
"spec" for them is very easy to write in any text editor.  Just plop
system-wide menu changes in /etc/menu, then [as root] run "update-menus".
You can make changes as a regular user as well, but then your personal
menu's won't catch the modifications of the system wide ones until
you run "update-menus".  The're docs on the menu system...

<example>
?package(local.staroffice):\
       needs="x11"\
       section="Apps/Local/StarOffice"\
       title="StarOffice 5.1"\
       command="/usr/local/Office51/bin/soffice"\
       icon="/usr/local/Office51/s_soffice.xpm"

?package(local.staroffice):\
       needs="x11"\
       section="Apps/Local/StarOffice"\
       title="Setup"\
       command="/usr/local/Office51/bin/setup"\
       icon="/usr/local/Office51/s_soffice.xpm"
</example>

Note: In the "package(...)", the "local.*" tell the menu system not
to verify that the package is installed (because it is locally installed
and not under Debian's package management system).  You can override
default menus that come with a package be putting a version in /etc/menu.
Debian's menu files live in /usr/lib/menu/, so there are lots of examples.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>