Re: list all packages that are installed

on Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:58:47PM -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On Friday 11 January 2002 05:58 pm, Stephen Rueger wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:41:18PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > > A problem with this is that even if COLUMNS is a huge value (from
> > > a very large xterm window, for example), 'dpkg -l > foo' will
> > > still create a 78 column output.
> >
> > 'COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l > foo'
>
> radical.  thanks.
>
> Doing that without a semicolon would *never* have occurred to me.

It's a shell trick.

You can set an environment variable for the _current process_ by
specifying it first on the command line.  I usually exploit it to get a
date/time for some other location, e.g.:

    $ TZ=Australia/Sydney date
    $ TZ=UK/London date

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org