Re: list all packages that are installed

Lo, on Friday, January 11, Paul E Condon did write:

> How can I get a list of all the debian packages that are installed
> on my computer?
>
> I see lots of stuff about getting a list of all the packages that are
> available. But thats not what I'm asking.
>
> I know its there, because dselect somehow maintains it little
> symbols on each package line in its display. I would like that
> as a text file that I might pass through grep.

dpkg -l

although you may need to set the COLUMNS variable to a larger number in
order to prevent some of the fields from getting chopped.

See dpkg's manpage for more goodies.

(Just out of curiosity, is the COLUMNS trick documented anywhere?  I
couldn't find it in any of the obvious manpages: dpkg(8), bash(1),
environ(7).)

Richard