Re: Yow, Madduck!

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:33:33AM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
| On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:00:06AM -0500, dman wrote:

| > Now I'm curious as to what "me@remailer.address" really means -- there
| > is no domain "remailer.address" :
| >
| > I also can't find any name for that "machine.remailer.address" host.
| > Each of those systems that handled the message after yours must know
| > how to deliver to that address.  Perhaps that is another sign of a
| > misconfigured MTA -- did you really send the message to
| > "me@remailer.address"?
|
| I should have warned you:  me@remailer.address and
| machine.remailer.address are substitutions for the real strings.

Oh, ok, that explains why the lookups on my part failed.

| Also it is not located at my isp, it is external.  If I was to
| move to another city, me@remailer.address would remain the same,
| and I would reconfigure it to forward my mail to my new isp.
|
| So the misconfigured NT machine you talked about is at
| remailer.address, not at achilles.net.  Actually achilles.net
| is a pretty cool isp.

I assumed it was part of achilles.net's internal structure since the
headers before and after it were all part of achilles.net.  Now I see
that achilles.net sent it on to that system, which sent it back (with
a different envelope recipient) :-).

| As for remailer.address, it is incoming-only, so I'm happy
| as long as my isp accepts mail for me from it in spite of
| its misconfiguration.

Actually, you're kinda lucky that achilles.net accepted the forwarded
message since the headers indicate that an unknown hostname was in the
HELO.  They could have denied it just as martin's system did to your
debian box.  (I assume you didn't change anything in the headers other
than the name)

-D

--

Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.