tar giving different results for same command, trying to test cdrom device integrity

I am curious if anyone can clear up the following phenomena
for gnu tar on testing:

# tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

basically I have  cdrom mounted under a directory

and i ran

tar zcvf win2k.tgz /mnt

and

tar zcvf win2k-2.tgz /mnt

Perhaps I should be using different options to get the
same files:

# cmp -version
cmp - GNU diffutils version 2.7

cmp -l on the files yields:

# cmp -l *
	 6   4   2

I also did a dd on the raw device and that at least gave no differences.

I am trying to determine whether the cdrom drive is faulty. Does anyone know
of good ways to test such a thing.

-walter