Re: Yow, Madduck!

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:11:23PM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
| On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:42:28PM -0500, dman wrote:
| > Clearly you are not using your ISPs system as a smarthost, but have
| > setup exim to deliver directly to the remote system.  What you need to
|
| Aha, correct.  I think I'd like to use my isp as a smarthost.
| However, I have messed with my exim configuration and now I'm
| afraid to change it.

Put this in the ROUTERS section.  Either put it above the existing
"literal" and "lookuphost" routers or comment those out or both.

# send mail to a smarthost
smarthost:
    driver = domainlist
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = * <your isp's server name> bydns_a

If you need to authenticate, find the part that says

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  authenticate_hosts = <your smarthost server>

# To use SMTP AUTH when sending to a particular host, such as your ISP's
# smarthost, uncomment and edit the above line, and also the example
# client-side authenticators at the bottom of the file

(right above DIRECTORS section).  Do as the comments say.

At the bottom of the file is where you provide your user/pass for
authentication.  Choose the appropriate method (based on what your ISP
supports).  You can telnet to it and issue an EHLO command to see what
it support, or use trial-and-error.

| > the reverse lookup will do that).  Assuming your ISP hasn't been RBLed
|
| I don't _think_ my ISP has been RBL'd and I suppose my name would
| be worse than mud if it got that way because of me.

:-).  I don't think you'll cause that -- you're not on enough for
spammers to take advantage of you even if you do have an open relay.
The default config from 'eximconfig' is to accept locally destined
mail only which doesn't help the spammers.

Fortunately, too, the RBL isn't the end of the world for you.  If you
close the relay and stop spamming you can get off the list.

-D

--

An anxious heart weighs a man down,
but a kind word cheers him up.