ext2 -> reiserfs

Hi,

I've backuped my /var which is on /dev/hda5 (ext2)
then
init 1
umount /dev/hda5
mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/hda5
mount /dev/hda5 /var
cp /backup /var
reboot

During booting I got message that "Invalid super blok on /dev/hda5 (ex2fs). Try run fsck .......... "
and it sent me to 1 runlevel.

I was curious where it takes that /dev/hda5 is still ext2
so I looked into /dev/mtab

and there was only line for /dev/hda1 / .....
and proc /proc ....

I was thinking that someting terrible has happend to my /etc/mtab ...

I converted, back my /dev/hda5 to ext2fs and copied /backup to it,
and reboot.

Luckily, it booted well, without any mistake. My box was good working again.
I looked into /etc/mtab and it was OK again:

/dev/hda1 / reiserfs rw,notail,notail 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /tmp reiserfs rw,notail 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home reiserfs rw,notail 0 0
/dev/hda5 /var ext2 rw 0 0

I have 2 questions:
I was thinking that /etc/mtab is a fixed file ... but it looks it is beeing written during starting the system????

What I need to do, to succesfully convert my /dev/hda5 reiserfs,
which file need by informed about that change?

	Sincerely, Mirek Dobsicek

(I'm running woody)