Re: strange behavior, comments

Darrell,

Since woody, I use gdmconfig to configure gdm ... very easy compared to
previous versions.  Still, knowing what to do to run wmaker as your
session isn't trivial.

Sounds like your power bump caused corruption of file permissions.  I've
seen that a bit.  Reinstalling the gdm package may fix it.

	apt-get install --reinstall gdm

I've no idea what package is responsible for setting the permissions on
/tmp though, or indeed whether it will even detect it.

Solutions to reduce the probability of future corruption:

- a UPS,
- a laptop (which has an integrated UPS),
- a filesystem type that supports journalling (ext3, reiserfs, xfs?)
- typing sync at the first sniff of a brown-out,
- putting sync into a while loop with a sleep 1 during lightning.

--
James Cameron                                 (james.cameron@compaq.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/         (or)         http://quozl.netrek.org/