Re: why does a process gets killed?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:19:24 +0100
Imre Vida <Imre.Vida@anat.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> The problem i have is that on one of my machines
> the process gets killed after a certain number of cycles.
> (This number is not absolutely constant but has very
> small variation between 100-120.)

If the memory use of the program grows at all over time(either through
leaks or simply from the nature of the program), then you could be
creating an OOM(out of memory) situation. The kernel will then attempt
to free up resources. It uses a number of checks to see which processes
to kill, but if your app doesn't have a low PID, isn't being run by
root, and is taking up 99.999% of the memory, I imagine it'd be the
first on the list ;)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \