Re: Debian Vs RedHat

* Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net) spake thusly:

> I'm starting a "Debian Vs Redhat" comparision.

Oh no, not another distro war...

> Debian:
>   Server Oriented
>   Integraged software install/update tool  (apt) [a version is available for redhat
>     but requires considerable time/effort to install]
I believe this functionality also exist in RH. It's a pain to set up, though.

>   Publicly available 3 tier development cycle (dev, test, production)
Pretty b0rken ATM: stable is way too old for many uses,
testing is more broken than dev.

>   Publicly available bug archive for testing and searching
Someone's already mentioned bugzilla.

>   System layout is SYSV like Solaris
FVO "system layout" = "/etc/init.d". It's mostly quite different.

    Sane(r) default install (inc. non-broken C compiler, fewer
    network services etc.)

    Some degree of support for automated installation
    (e.g. get- and set-selections in apt). Although RH
    may have something like that, I dunno.
> RedHat:

    [If you do development] not all programs written on
    RedHat $VERSION will compile on RedHat $OTHER_VERSION.
    Not to mention other distros -- ATM we have a C++ library
    that compiles on RH7.1 (gcc 2.96) but not on Debian woody
    (gcc 2.95 and 3.0) or Solaris (gcc 2.95).

    RH has a long tradition of shipping b0rked compilers in
    FUBARed configurations.

We have a bunch of RH6.2 boxen, a couple of RH7.2s, and 2 Debian
woodies.

I'm not too happy with my 2 workstations (Debian/woody): woody
breaks way too often (e.g. right now I can't login to the gooey
box, some kind of kdm problem), and I can't spend too much time
fscking around with it. Installing potato and hand-rolling all
the software that isn't there or is too old (that includes e.g. X)
is not a viable option.

My co-worker has an RH6.2 and RH7.2 boxen. He's as unhappy with
them as I'm with mine -- just the other day he came to my office
asking about Debian "because I'm sick and tired of RedHat's
stupidity" -- he had hard time compiling something or other...
OTGH, kdm is not broken on his box...

Bottom line: they both suck, although in different ways.

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM