Re: Hairy lilypond compile problem

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:36:43 -0800
David Roundy <droundy@civet.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:18:45PM +0800, csj wrote:
> > Using a brute-force dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot on the lilypond
> > source package results in a build failure. The last three lines of
> > stdout show:
> >
> > bison -d parser.yy
> > mv parser.yy.tab.h out/parser.hh
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/xa/build/debian/lilypond-1.4.9/lily'
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/xa/build/debian/lilypond-1.4.9'
> >
> > My attempt at diagnostics is crude at best. From the little I learned
> > from the man page of the command in question, I was able to produce the
> > following not too helpful error output:
> >
> > gamma:/builder/lilypond-1.4.9$ cd lily
> > gamma:/builder/lilypond-1.4.9/lily$ bison -d parser.yy -v
> > contains 2 shift/reduce conflicts.
> >
> > Are there any bison gurus out there. Or is this a mere symptom of an
> > altogether different problem?
>
> Well, the lines you show don't look like an error message to me, they look
> like normal operation.  I'd say the error occurred earlier perhaps?

Maybe, maybe not. The first lines from the lilypond build proper, as I
stated, are stdout (I judged stderr to be less informative). The second
set of lines may not be an error stream. But they're the closest thing
to explaining to clueless me why, after I ran the said command earlier
without the -v(erbose) option, no new file or screen output was
generated. That certainly looks like an error situation to me.