Re: OT: xargs & vi

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.09.1716 +0100]:
> hosing up the telnet session, yes.  i would guess.  but using vimm
> 6.0.93 locally, i get the same results and error messages inputting to
> vim from stdin.  i can't reproduce your conclusive results on my
> machine, martin ...

wow, i can't either anymore. seriously. and i swear it worked yesterday.

but you know what, this is getting tiring... here the summary

to open a list of files given by a command in vim:

  vim `command`

if this complains about too long an argument list, you either should
reconsider (noone wants to edit 500 files), or:

  for i in `command`; do vi $i; done

which is exactly why xargs was created in the first place.

contrary to expectations,

  command | xargs vim

works with an error message, but it hoses your terminal.

any form of 'vim -' will read the data to be edited from stdin, not the
filenames, so it's not appropriate.

and even though i swear it worked,

  command | vim

just dies with

Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
Vim: Error reading input, exiting...
Vim: Finished.

"you raise the blade, you make the change
 you rearrange me till i'm sane.
 you lock the door, and throw away the key,
 there's someone in my head but it's not me."
                                                   -- pink floyd, 1972