Re: ntpd does not work

hi sebastiaan

the ntp.conf file is different for your local ntp server
vs clients syncing to your local ntp server

kill  ntp daemon than  kill all the pending ntp jobs..
and restart it and see where the problem is

maybe the reason for the failures is in the /var/log/ntpstats or
/var/log/*

for testing... i'd turn on logfileiny our /etc/ntp.conf

ntp wont sync if its more than a few minutes off
	- each client need to first run "ntpdate -s ntp.chello.nl"

you'd want to have more than one ntp server... and probably add a peer ntp
server

maybe your ipchains is blocking ntp traffic ??

what does ntptrace/ntpdate show for any error messages ??

	ntptrace -dv ntp ( checks /etc/ntp.conf )

	ntpdate < -v | -q > ntp.your.com

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/NTP .. see server/client conf and docs