Re: OT: performance problems.

Hi

On 2002.01.07 00:48 martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.06.2127 +0100]:
> | i even went as far as to renice xmms to -20 *and*
> | rsync/bzip/gzip/make-kpkg to 20, but it doesn't really help.
>
> Well, kernel compilation is very CPU intensive, and bzip2 can do
lots
> of computation as well.  What you have is several (not just two) CPU
> intensive processes going, and one process that needs real-time CPU
> access.  Unix is a time-sharing, but not real-time OS.  xmms just
gets
> lucky if it doesn't skip.  This is true for the general case of any
> process that needs real-time-like scheduling.  Of course, the less
> load you have on your machine the more likely it is that xmms will
be
> scheduled often enough.

but any process with nice value -20 should take absolut precedence
over
other processes at higher nice levels, especially when the
resource-hog-process runs at nice level +20!!!

Just one thing:  Are you using DMA on your hdd?  This might make a big
difference, since doing anything vaguely HDD intensive w/o using DMA
works quite horribly.

To check, run

hdparm /dev/hda

or, whichever device represents your hdd in place of /dev/hda.

somehow this strikes me as *wrong*. heck, even windoze NT could do
that
better...

> That load average you have is way higher than mine is, except for
when
> I'm doing a lot of development (compiling/running some java stuff,
> which is when xmms has trouble for me).  The system is still quite
> responsive for non-real-time and non-cpu-intensive activities (like
> reading/writing email).

mine isn't. and this was when all i was doing is rsync on the local
network (no ssh) and playing from xmms.

chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent, reboot.
order shall return.