Re: scsi termination for scanners

> I have a Umax VistaScan S6E that has 25 pin, 50 pin Centronics and an
apple
> connection. I am using a 2902E Adaptec scsi pci card (external
connection
> only). When I boot up and load the sys driver it syas that there is
no
> termination. The card has the three terminators on it. The card has
25 pin
> connection. I did have this device connected to and Adaptec 2940 card
on
> another computer that had internal hard drives and cd connected. This
> situation worked fine. I couldn't get this to work on the 2902e card
so I
> put in a 1520 card 50 pin mini and the cable I was using on the other
pc
> that did work and I still could not get it to work. Win98se found the
> card(s) and the scanner in both cases but the scanner software says
link
> failed. Why would Win98se find the stuff but still not have a link?
Is there
> something I need to do to the cable to terminate it? I am lost.

SCSI needs termination at BOTH ends of the device chain.  With just a
scanner and a controller card, the ends are - the scanner and the
controller card.

i.e.  You need termination on the card (maybe actual resistor packs, a
dip switch/jumper or BIOS setting, depending on the card) and the
scanner itself ... (again, may be a dip-switch on the scanner labeled
TE or Term. En. ... or you MAY need a actual cable terminator - If the
scanner has no other means ot termination, it will have two cable
sockets ... you will need to acquire a SCSI terminator to match the
unused cable socket (doesn't matter which is which) and install it.
The terminator will look like a block of rubber or plastic with a
connector on it that matches your scanner's socket ...

HTH!

aloha,
dave    -   davep@kinaole.org  -  303.777.1938

#!/usr/bin/perl
print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);