Re: XFree86 upgrade to 4.1.0

stefao melchior <zarrus_abbestia@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you can help me suggesting how to upgrade perl
> from 5.004 to 5.6.

I don't know of any easy way... the way I did it was with brute force and
ignorance (of conflicts) with dpkg. There are a few awkward dependencies. I
did it with:

	# dpkg -i --force-conflicts packagename.deb

This method is _not_ recommended for general installations, using this can
break your system if you're not careful. I only used it when I had to. Try
using the safer:

	# dpkg -i packagename.deb

before forcing the package. Also, write down the dependencies and conflicts
of all the packages being installed. This way, you know more about what
order to install and replace files. When forcing a package because it
conflicts with an older package, remember to replace the older package soon
thereafter.

Until all of the requisite packages are installed, some packages may be
brokenly installed (namely not configured due to dependencies). The easy way
to configure all unconfigured packages is with:

	# dpkg --configure -a

but if you want to be selective about the order that packages are
configured, substitute "packagename" for "-a".

Use it at your own risk.

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com