Re: how to get rid of sendmail X-Authentication-Warning?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:55:30PM -0500, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote (1.00):
> What's wrong with editing sendmail.cf by hand?  I do it
> and have done it for years.  I initally generate one using
> m4 but usually modify it a bit to suit my needs.

You used to have to sometimes, but the newer sendmail versions make a
point of have all configuration in the .mc file...  The largest problem
with generating a .cf, and then editing it, is that you can't ever
rebuild it later safely.  If you keep all of your config in your .mc
file, then you are assured that you can always generate your current
working config if necessary.

In addition, after you upgrade sendmail versions, you can simply
regenerate the sendmail.cf and take advantage of any bug fixes or
improvements in the sendmail.cf macros that may have been added since
you last generated your config.

Of course, if you're the only person who's ever editing your config, you
can do whatever you want, but if you've got multiple admins managing
your sendmail installations, hand editing the .cf is a shooting offense.

M, who is starting to use postfix now.