Re: How to start OSS/Commercial Automatically + upgrade LD

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 02:11:44AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > I have a few questions, first off how can I run the soundon command to
> > start up OSS automatically at bootup?
>
> I don't know what this means.  If you need to load your sound module at
> boot time, use modconf or just manually put the module name in
> /etc/modules.

You don't know what it means 'cause you've never used the commercial
OSS.  It is inserted into the kernel with a 'soundon' command.  I don't
recall, having not used that product in several years, but I think it
does quite a bit more than just insmod or modprobe.  Among other things,
I believe it checks to be sure that you're licensed to use the thing.

In any case, to run soundon at boottime, I would copy
/etc/init.d/skeleton to a new file in that directory (call it sound or
OSS or something) and make the changes there.  Then 'cd /etc/rc2.d && ln
-s ../init.d/sound .'  Or read the manpage for 'update-rc.d'.

noah