Re: How to start OSS/Commercial Automatically + upgrade LD

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I've installed debian and have to say I feel quite a bit more at home
> with Debian than any other Linux system I've used. I am a NetBSD user
> for the mostpart.
>
> I have a few questions, first off how can I run the soundon command to
> start up OSS automatically at bootup?

I don't know what this means.  If you need to load your sound module at
boot time, use modconf or just manually put the module name in
/etc/modules.

> Second I'm running a Nvidia GeForce2 MX-400 with linux and am having
> strange crashes (the X server exits with signal 11 I think) anyhow
> according to Nvidia this could be because the linker (ld) is of an old
> version... Can I upgrade my ld to a new version?
>
> I'm already running kernel 2.4.16 with many of the tools recompiled
> from source (all those suggested by 2.4.16 installation) so ld would
> just be another one.

Normally in Debian, it's preferable to install binary packages from the
archives, not to compile from source.  Otherwise, you'll miss out on
Debian's package management, which is probably the best reason to be
running Debian in the first place.

If you want to run 2.4.x kernels on Potato, it's best to either upgrade
to Woody or Sid, or to use these packages here:

http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

If you still need a newer binutils (which contains ld), the latest
packaged version is always found in Sid, but note that it requires a
newer version of libc6 than the one in Potato.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>