Locale issues after potato -> woody

Hi all!

I still have problems after a potato -> woody upgrade. Some are
DNS related, but I also seem to have locale issues. From apt:

;root@chert:/etc/init.d# apt-get install ddd
;Reading Package Lists... Done
;Building Dependency Tree... Done
;The following NEW packages will be installed:
; ddd
;0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not
upgraded.
;Need to get 1576kB of archives. After unpacking 4447kB will be used.
;Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main ddd 1:3.3.1-8 [1576kB]
;Fetched 1576kB in 45s (34.9kB/s)
;
;perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
;perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
;        LANGUAGE = (unset),
;        LC_ALL = (unset),
;        LC_CTYPE = "",
;        LANG = "english"
;    are supported and installed on your system.
;perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
;Selecting previously deselected package ddd.
;(Reading database ... 63792 files and directories currently installed.)

;Unpacking ddd (from .../ddd_1%3a3.3.1-8_i386.deb) ...
;Setting up ddd (3.3.1-8) ...
;perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
;perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
;        LANGUAGE = (unset),
;        LC_ALL = (unset),
;        LC_CTYPE = "",
;        LANG = "english"
;    are supported and installed on your system.
;perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
;perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
;perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
;        LANGUAGE = (unset),
;        LC_ALL = (unset),
;        LC_CTYPE = "",
;        LANG = "english"
;    are supported and installed on your system.
;perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

The output of locale under X (gnome)is:
john@chert:~$ locale
LANG=english
LC_CTYPE=
LC_NUMERIC="english"
LC_TIME="english"
LC_COLLATE="english"
LC_MONETARY="english"
LC_MESSAGES="english"
LC_PAPER="english"
LC_NAME="english"
LC_ADDRESS="english"
LC_TELEPHONE="english"
LC_MEASUREMENT="english"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="english"
LC_ALL=

I'm sure this isnt right.
On the console I'm getting 'C' for all values except LC_ALL, which is
unset.

Any ideas on how to fix this are appreciated.

John P Foster